In the Name of Allah, Master Fard Muhammad
PLEASE CLICK ON THE BOOK COVER
S (SCIENCE) T (TECHNOLOGY) E (ENGINEERING) M (MATHEMATICS)
As-Salaamu ‘Alaikum Beloved And Beautiful Sisters!
Science is probably THE most fascinating subject in the entire universe. TRUTHFULLY, it is the Universe! The study of Science makes an otherwise boring school day, fun and exciting! And through interesting and educational science experiments, makes it interactive.
Understanding and being able to communicate Science is a comprehensive method of measuring one’s knowledge; showing and proving that you possess the knowledge of how and why things work.
The Definitions of SCIENCE, According to Dictionary.com are:
- a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.
- a systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
- any of the branches of natural or physical science.
Instill in your children, a desire to Do Something For their own Black Self and Kind by educating them as to the importance of STEM subjects toward building our own Black Nation. This can be done in a number of different ways.
* Make your children KEENLY AWARE of the fact that SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS AND ENGINEERING ALL BEGAN WITH BLACK PEOPLE. THIS IS THE ONE THING THAT THE DEVIL DOES NOT WANT OUR CHILDREN TO KNOW. You must educate your children about the origins of these indispensable sciences, especially if your children attend the devil’s schools where they will be taught that white people discovered all of the sciences and mathematical breakthroughs and that Black people discovered nothing. This reinforces white-supremacist ideals and fosters an attitude of self-hate and indifference toward their own Black people. Educate your children as to the TRUE HISTORY of the whiteman, i.e. that when white people were living like beasts in the hills and cavesides of Europe, Black people were dwelling in highly advanced and rightly civilized societies in Arabia and Africa.
I found in my search for specifically BLACK centered Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, a list of books documenting the fact that BLACK PEOPLE discovered all of these subjects. I am going to include the link so you can choose whichever books are interesting to you at this stage in your acquisition of KNOWLEDGE and share what you learn with your children.
* Create a nurturing environment of exploring STEM subjects in your home, where you can give your children a hands on experience in the wonders of SCIENCE. Let them take your old electronic devices apart, or anything with moving parts. Even if they don’t understand how it works, they might be able to reassemble it, becoming familiar with the different parts and how they all fit together. Plan and then visit Science Centers. Cultivate your child’s love of science-in-action by doing experiments with him. Here is an online resource for TONS of websites you can peruse to find simple science experiments you can try with your children. ALL CHILDREN LOVE SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS. Make Science easily accessible and routine. Surround your child with scientific images (Periodic Tables and Solar System posters, Constructive Toys and Games like Erector Sets, &c.) YOU have to envelop your child in STEM subjects. Make them available and approachable. It rests on your shoulders….
* Bring science and technology into perspective by pointing out its daily applications. Teach your children how science, technology, engineering, and mathematics have led to the establishment of most of the things we use in our everyday lives, such as running water, electricity, and transportation. Have your child imagine what life was like before we had these things. By explaining the history of technology, your child will begin to comprehend that technology is related to building and advancing civilization and makes our daily lives much more productive and enjoyable.
* Interest your children in watching television shows or videos that promote STEM subjects. “The Magic School Bus” is excellent for inadvertently teaching science to young children. (Note: If you click on the YouTube icon on the bottom right of the screen it will take you to the YouTube website where more “Magic School Bus” videos will appear.)
Also, “Bill Nye the Science Guy” teaches many different scientific concepts very engagingly.
The “Eyewitness” TV Series has some excellent videos about a range of different STEM subjects.
Disney also has a series of VERY INFORMATIVE AND ENTERTAINING engineering-based videos called “The Science of Disney Imagineering”. The Disney videos are exceptionally good, but quite expensive.
Fortunately, all of these videos can be found at your local library. (Note “The Magic School Bus” and “Eyewitness” began as book series, so you can also incorporate these into your child’s world of science and encourage your children to only read and explore non-fiction books.)
For older children, PBS has a series called “Design Squad Nation” which demonstrates to young people (pre-teens) that even at what they may consider a young age, they are perfectly capable of mastering complicated engineering projects. This program makes something that most young people don’t even understand (ENGINEERING), “do-able” and actually quite intriguing and definitely worth investigating. You can find it at DESIGN SQUAD NATION. Just click “Watch”.
* ENCOURAGE AND PROMOTE INQUIRIES. If your child asks you something, with today’s technology, there is no reason for you to not be able to give him an informed and educated answer. Master the Science of Finding the Truth on the Internet. Rely on several sources and demonstrate to your children that every answer to every question is right at their fingertips. GOOGLE IT! This will feed your child’s natural curiosity, and you know what they say, “Curiosity is the Mother of Invention.” Or something like that….
(*I just GOOGLED it, it’s “NECESSITY is the MOTHER OF INVENTION”. But CURIOSITY has to be up there too. 🙂 )
In short, it is impossible to exhaust the resources available to you on the Internet when it comes to educating your children in STEM subjects. Here are a few more good sites.
Go to the Science Section