بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
As-Salaamu ‘Alaikum Beloved Asiatic Black Kings And Queens!
I don’t really have much to say except I was robbed last night. *gasp!*
I went through some donations to Goodwill last night and picked up a black pleather backpack and some other things I needed and went to sleep on the beach.
Fortunately, I had put on the items I really needed, so when I woke up and the backpack was gone, I felt more violated than taken advantage of.
I think Allah, no, I KNOW Allah Wants me to travel lightly and the added weight was really unnecessary. I knew that when I took it but I’m a hip-hop head and we like backpacks, for some reason, so I liked wearing it, even if after awhile the burden made itself manifest.
I wanted it; but I certainly didn’t need any of it. It’s just that I was just thinking about a change of clothes and then I see all of these donations. I really needed some shoes but there were about ten pairs of sneakers – all too small.
If that was a test, I failed. But Allah Will Have His Way.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Did you see the Moon? It was aight. I mean, it was kinda full with the top right corner shaved off a little bit. Not nearly as amazing as the previous two nights, but still beautiful just the same.
Like I said, I slept on the beach, then I went to this Homeless Resource Center I had heard about. (I like to have options. I also never want to get stuck at any one place. Anything could happen and then where would I go?) They weren’t there but I found a couple giving free donuts and coffee to whoever needed it, so I helped myself.
The lady was even kind enough to Google the HRC I had been looking for and found their new address. However, when I got there it was like “under new management” and had none of the services I was in need of. Well, maybe one, but the people who offered the adult services were at another location while they had Summer Youth Camp.
So, I got the address and pushed to the Promenade.
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
My GR finally came in (I always get benefits on the LAST day but I’m grateful. Allahu Akbar) and I had planned to buy some Skechers since my dividends are so low now.
I had met this Brother on the Row back in April and when I was in the market for some new sneaks, he recommended that brand.
Back then, I was almost offended. Skechers??? Don’t make me laugh.
I had planned to buy some Shelltoes but went with some Pumas instead.
So, now since my check has been cut by about 90 per cent, it seemed as if my only option was the Sketches.
They have a store on the Promenade and last week I reluctantly went in to see what they were working with.
I was repulsed by the inferior quality of the shoes but they were all only $50-$55, which was within my budget and I thought, Hey, at one time, Skechers were pretty hot. They are a recognizable brand and, well that’s about it.
But this morning on my way to the Promenade after the disappointment of the now defunct HRC, Zawji reminded of our own local favorite – CHUCK’S!!!
I could get some decent shoes, well CHUCK’S are beyond decent, they are well-respected and even the shoe of choice for many (myself included) when budget is not a factor. Allahu Akbar!
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
Now, the bullets…
- Go support the homie, Max, KPFK DJ and Event DJ at the Townhouse in Venice, CA Tuesday, August 15, from 9p-2a Right near the Boardwalk – Ocean Front Walk. It’s going to be nice to see him after all this time. Our sons used to participate in the Drum Workshop at the Stage BITD…
- So, I passed on the political music of L.A. talk at CAAM, but there are two related events that incorporate DANCE to this music. They’re both going to be held on the next two Sundays at 1-2:30. The first is 90’s dance and the following week will be the Lindy Hop. My Grammy told me she used to be really good at this. We’ll see how her grandbaby fares…
- Also, coming up in September at CAAM, there is going to be a screening and discussion on the history of Silent Race Films, of which I have a particular interest, so if the facilitator is not a devil, you will, In Sha Allah, find your Sister there. Wednesday, September 6 from 7-9
- There is an artsy venue in Santa Monica that I’ve been dying to visit, but every time I go by there, they are always closed. So I Googled it and found the schedule and In Sha Allah, I will visit the Open Craft Lounge that is open to artists to work on any project alongside other artists in an “Open Craft Lounge” It’s the second Saturday of every month at Camera Obscura from 11-2.
- Another venue that just looks so high class and beautiful that I thought I had to have an excuse (like some type of event) to visit is the Annenberg Beach House. They do have a lot of events scheduled, so if you have to have an excuse, check out the website, but I’m just going to drop by after I wake up on the beach…
- Another Literary Arts Center I happened upon this weekend during a ride through the beautiful city of Venice (whenever I hit up Venice it makes me feel that way)
- BEYOND BAROQUE
- Here’s what’s going on at the inimitable – UCLA CENTER FOR THE ART OF PERFORMANCE (CAP)
- Farmer’s Markets always offer a healthy alternative to the processed and packaged foods that most grocery stores offer. Try the West L.A. Farmer’s Market
- And you know, I don’t know what I like better, the fact that it’s LIVE Music or that it is FREE CONCERTS DOWNTOWN
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤